Training sessions are open to all employees and GT affiliates who have a sincere interest in learning more about how to practice allyship to the LGBTQIA community. If you are a student or are in a fraternity or sorority, please register for Safe Space: Peer Education or Greek Allies training instead.
Each training lasts 4 hours. By the end of the Safe Space training, participants will:
- Feel more confident using LGBTQIA-inclusive terminology
- Be aware of how heterosexist and cissexist privilege perpetuate LGBTQIA oppression and discrimination
- Understand the coming out process and know how to provide appropriate support to someone who comes out to them
- Understand the role of allies in LGBTQIA communities and social justice movements
- Possess skills to advocate for LGBTQIA communities and to combat homophobia, transphobia, heterosexism, and cissexism on campus and beyond
- Be familiar with laws and policies that impact the LGBTQIA community
- Know what resources exist on and off campus for LGBTQIA students, faculty, and staff
Please note: This training will include some discussion of sensitive topics, including anti-LGBTQIA bias and mental health concerns, including some brief mentions of suicide and self-harm. Please use your judgment and your knowledge of your own boundaries and self-care needs when deciding whether to register.
Later Training Dates:
Tuesday, July 16, 9am-1pm